For the mince:
750g beef/lamb mince
2 red onions
2 garlic cloves
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 glass of red wine
Salt & pepper
3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon
Oregano & thyme
For the sauce:
120g flour (I use almond as it’s healthier)
Pinch of nutmeg
2 egg yolks
100g Parmesan cheese
– Cut the eggplants into thin slices, season with salt & leave for 30 mins.
– Rinse the eggplants and fry in olive oil til lightly browned.
– In a large pan heat the olive o and fry the onions & garlic.
– Add the mince to brown in colour.
– Add the red wine and wait to for alcohol to evaporate.
– Add the tomato purée, tin of tomatoes, spices, herbs & salt & pepper.
– Bring to the boil then simmer for 30 mins with a lid on.
– For the sauce…use a large pan to melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour whisking to make a paste.
– Add the milk and keep whisking to prevent lumps.
-Stir over low heat til sauce thickens.
– Remove from heat & stir in egg yolks, salt, pepper, nutmeg & a bit of cheese.
– To assemble first layer the eggplants. Pour the meat sauce and even out. Add a second layer of eggplants, top with sauce and smooth out.
– Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in the oven at 180 degrees C for 45-60mins.
* Allow the Moussaka to cool down before cutting and serve with a Greek salad.